Lots concerning Occupy Wall Street and its offshoots, student costs and debt, and the economic crises facing California in today's links. Just check below the fold:
The journal Reclamations has issued a pamphlet about and against student debt, and Reclaim UC has posted about it.
CHE blogger Marc Bousquet Occupies San Jose, calling it a relief from "top-down academic wankery." Occupy Wall Street is being well- and continuously-analyzed at Fire Dog Lake. "We're the 99%" is settling in a the pivotal slogan. "We're the 99%" also applies to public universities: it's the percentage of US college students who do NOT attend the "Ivy League Plus" colleges (Ivies plus Stanford, Duke and six other high-ranking privates).
The images of Occupy Wall Street just keep coming.
Occupy Los Angeles takes up its place at City Hall.
Debating the meanings of Occupy Wall Street. Be sure to read the comments.
Kevin Gosztola offers more thoughts on the relationship of Occupy Wall Street and more institutionalized campaigns.
Schools scramble for online ventures: but to what end?
UCOP announces new guidelines for self-supporting graduate programs.
Academic Senate offers a less fantasy-based evaluation of Grad Funding than UCOP's.
The American Historical Association is urging its members to broaden their conceptions of a career and think more broadly about employment and training.
What went wrong with Business Schools?
Peter Schrag has some thoughts on the depth of California's housing Crisis. And why it has been so difficult to get politicians to tackle it.
California Community Colleges received 37 Million in Grants for Science Education from the Feds.
UC Daily Links
Michael Meranze's Latest Links
- Latest on Salaita Case--Different Reports on Whether There will be a Board Vote (Academe Blog)
- The Resegregation of America's Public Schools (To The Point 8/29/14)
- Today’s Intellectuals: Too Obedient? (THE 8/28/14)
- The Original Charter School Vision (NYT 8/30/14)
- Influx of Chinese Students Into U.S. May be Tapering Off (LAT 8/29/14)
- MP Urges UCL to ‘Stamp Out’ Forced Labour on Qatar Campus (Guardian 8/29/14)
- Bookless Library Opened by New US University (Guardian 8/29/14)
- Will a Florida County's Bold Decision to Opt Out of State Testing Catch Fire? (Huff Po 8/29/14)
- Obama Administration To Reward Student Loan Company Accused Of Cheating Troops (Huff Po 8/29/14)
- Chapel Hill Revises Policies on Sex Assault Charges (IHE 8/29/14)
- Bill Allowing Community Colleges to Grant 4-Year Bachelor’s Degrees Goes to Governor (Daily Cal 8/28/14)
- Shaw Enough, College Athletics are a Big Business (UCLAFA 8/28/14)
- Online Learning Push Continues in California, But With Approach Faculty Groups Appreciate (IHE 8/28/14)
- Why Wall Street and Consulting Firms Win at the Elite College Brain Drain Game (Naked Capitalism 8/27/14)
- Janet Napolitano Hopes UC Can Cash In on Companies, Not Just Research (KQED 8/27/14)
- Excellent Sheep Run the World: Part II - Michelle Rhee (IHE 8/26/14)
- Assembly Passes Victim-Centered Sexual Assault Policy (Calitics 8/26/14)
- Student and Faculty Raise Concerns about Confirmed UC Regent Nominees (Daily Bruin 8/25/14)
- Generation Later, Poor Are Still Rare at Elite Colleges (NYT 8/25/14)
- Lack of Consultation or just Being Ignored? (UCLAFA 8/25/14)
- University of Illinois Repeals the First Amendment for Its Faculty (Huff Po 8/23/14)
- California Legislature Approves Bachelor's Degrees at Community Colleges (IHE 8/22/14)
- S.F. College Accrediting Panel Proposed Probation, not More Severe Sanctions (LAT 8/22/14)
- Michelle Rhee’s Real Legacy: Here’s What’s Most Shameful about her Reign (Salon 8/22/14)
- Can the Board of Trustees Really Revoke My Job Offer? (Syndi Dunn 8/21/14)
- Consultants' Best Case Scenarios Rarely Reality (IHE 8/20/14)
- Educating for Workplace Democracy (Changing Universities 8/20/14)
- These 9 Charts Show America's Coming Student Loan Apocalypse (Huff Po 8/20/14)
UC Regents (59) public funding (57) University of California (52) responses to UC budget crisis (44) budget cuts (33) public vs. private (31) broken funding model (30) faculty responses to budget crisis (27) California budget (25) privatization (25) responses to budget crisis (24) Jerry Brown (23) UC protests (22) financial vs. educational goals (22) online education (22) UC police (21) UCOF (21) UCOP (21) effects of the cuts (21) higher ed cuts (21) higher education funding (21) state funding (20) tuition hikes (20) MOOCs (19) admin responses to protest (19) Cal State (18) Mark Yudof (18) austerity (18) UCOP-campus relations (17) UC Berkeley (16) budget crisis (16) faculty governance (16) public university missions (16) Academic Senate (14) Public Higher Education (14) UC Care (14) academic labor (14) budget strategy (14) proposed UC budget (14) affordability (13) health insurance (13) higher ed pay cuts (13) inequality (13) protesting the cuts (13) UC pension (12) academic freedom (12) financial crisis (12) student protests (12) Janet Napolitano (11) UC Davis (11) administrative costs (11) UC governance (10) adjuncts (9) budget transparency (9) educational decline (9) effects of tuition hikes (9) faculty responses (8) faculty unions (8) arts and sciences (7) contingent faculty (7) endowments (7) for-profit higher ed (7) student loans (7) The Master Plan (6) UCLA (5) UC Riverside (4) costs (4) future university (4) UCSF (1)
- ► 2014 (44)
- ► 2013 (84)
- ► 2012 (114)
- Links for Monday: Trick or Treat Edition
- Links for Friday, October 28th
- Links for Wednesday, October 26
- Links for Monday October 24
- NSP: Eroding the Salary Scales, Undermining Facult...
- Links for Friday, October 21
- Links for Wednesday October 19
- Links for Monday October 17
- Problems with UCOP's Proposed Salary Supplements f...
- Links for Friday October 14
- Links for Thursday, October 13
- Links for October 12
- Links for Monday October 10
- Links for Friday, October 7
- Links for Thursday, October 6
- A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Wrongness
- Links for Tuesday October 4
- Links for Monday October 3
- ▼ October (18)
- ► 2010 (95)
- ► 2009 (215)
- ► 2008 (35)
- Academic Jobs Wiki
- Campaign for the Public University (UK)
- Changing Universities
- Citizen of Somewhere Else (SUNY Issues)
- Critical Education (UK)
- Easily Distracted (Timothy Burke)
- Exquisite Life (UK)
- Higher Ed Watch
- Higher Education - The Guardian (UK)
- Homeless Adjunct
- Humanities Think Talk
- In Socrates' Wake
- Keep California's Promise
- Magna Charta Observatory (Bologna)
- New Deal for the Humanities
- New Faculty Majority
- Occupy Colleges
- Postgraduate Worker (UK)
- Quality Public Higher Education
- Recession Realities in Higher Education Blog
- Reclaim UC
- Sciences Carré Blog (France)
- Student Activism
- Texas Tribune - Higher Ed
- The California Professor
- The Quick and the Ed
- UC Faculty Supporting Students
- UC Pay Search Tool
- UCLA Faculty Association Blog
- Universitas (France)
- University Diaries (Margaret Soltan)
- University Probe
- We Are Not Rats (Scotland)